Recently, we moved our one and two year old girls into the same room and I have to say (knock on wood) that it is going phenomenally well.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links.
I will say, though, that we have some MUST HAVE items in place that I swear have contributed immensely to our success!
- An awesome wide screen baby monitor. We have this model mounted on the wall and we are able to see the girl’s entire room including both beds so we know if anyone is trying to pull an escape plan.
- Door Monkey Door Hooks. I cannot recommend these little guys enough. We move around the house and make too much noise after bedtime to use an open door with a baby gate, but we LOVE these Door Monkey hooks! There is no installation required and they are super easy to pop on and off the door, but are out of reach of the little ones. They also prevent doors from closing all the way, which means no pinched little fingers! We seriously have them on every door in the house, bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, you name it. If you are a parent of curious and adventurous toddlers, I promise you they are life changing. You can order them here.
- Comfy Toddler Bed. I’ve had a feeling for awhile that our 2.5 year old was ready for a big girl bed. But the truth is, mama was not ready for her to have a big girl bed. Or at least I wasn’t until one night I caught her doing Olympic gymnast moves with assistance from the crib rails, that night you better believe little lady got moved to a mattress on the floor until her bed arrived. We surprised her with this sweet little toddler bed that matches their room perfectly. It was easy to assemble, comes in multiple colors, AND fits a standard size crib mattress! Most importantly – SHE LOVES IT!
- Baby gates. I moved all of the furniture out of their rooms except for this sweet little playhouse. However, I do use panels of their play yard to block off sections I do not want her to get into, specifically the closet in their room. The floor is clear, I just don’t want her fingers to get caught in the sliding doors, but these panels keep her from going over there. (Or at least make enough noise that I can get there first!)
- Sweet decor and sound they recognize. Both of them have had favorite pictures or posters since they were itty bitty. I make sure that they both can see something like that from their bed that gives them comfort. Their room is a Cinderella and The Little Mermaid combo theme so we some of their favorite princess pictures decorating the walls. And speaking of comfort, we love our soothing sound machine. Our oldest daughter tends to move around a bit, so the white noise setting on the machine really helps to not disturb the littlest one! It seriously has been a lifesaver during this transition!
I know every family has their own stories and experiences. And we all know these little ones can be super unpredictable, but these are our favorite things keeping us on track. At least this week!
Have a great weekend, y’all!